Cookies Policy

We use cookies to give you the best experience of our site. By using this site or by dismissing this banner you are consenting to their use. Find out how to manage cookies and change your settings.


We provide expert advice, practical support and campaign for single parents

  • Join us
  • Log in

Claiming Income Support and other benefits

For detailed step-by-step advice sign up for our email reminders in our guide to leaving work.

This factsheet gives details of the benefits and tax credits you can receive if you have a child under five and you are not working, or work fewer than 16 hours a week. It explains what income support is and how to make a claim. There is also information on other financial help, such as tax credits for your children and help with housing costs.

If you don’t qualify for income support or aren’t able to work because you are disabled or unwell, there is a list of other helpful Gingerbread resources at the end of this factsheet. For more advice contact the Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline on 0808 802 0925. Calls are free from landlines and most mobiles.

Note: If you have recently come to the United Kingdom, have limited right to be here, or are from the European Union, you may not have the right to claim the benefits set out in this factsheet. Get advice before claiming. See page five for organisations that can help.

Universal credit is a new benefit system that will replace many of the current benefits and tax credits. From December 2014 some families with children who are claiming benefits for the first time in selected jobcentres may claim universal credit. For more information on universal credit and how it may affect your family you can visit the Gingerbread website.

Lottery logo

Gingerbread has no control over the contents of these organisations' websites or products and services offered, these links and/or contact details are provided for your information only. Gingerbread accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of these websites and/or products and services offered by third parties.