Cookies Policy

We use cookies to give you the best experience of our site. By using this site or by dismissing this banner you are consenting to their use. Find out how to manage cookies and change your settings.


We provide expert advice, practical support and campaign for single parents

  • Join us
  • Log in

Tax credits when your circumstances change

For detailed step-by-step advice on everything from benefits and tax credits to childcare and your wellbeing, sign up for the email reminders in our guides to life's big changes.

This factsheet explains what happens to your tax credits when your circumstances change. It explains how to make sure you receive the correct amount of tax credits and what to do if you have been paid too much. For more information on tax credits and other benefits contact the Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline on 0808 802 0925. Calls are free. The information in this factsheet is for the current tax year, April 2017-April 2018.

Universal credit is a new benefit system that is replacing many of the current benefits and tax credits over the next five years. Some families with children who are claiming benefits or tax credits for the first time in selected areas must now claim universal credit instead of tax credits. For more information on universal credit and how it may affect your family you can visit the Gingerbread website.

Print the PDF

tax credits change.pdf

Lottery logo

Gingerbread has no control over the contents of these organisations' websites or products and services offered, these links and/or contact details are provided for your information only. Gingerbread accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of these websites and/or products and services offered by third parties.