Cookies Policy

We use cookies to give you the best experience of our site. By using this site or by dismissing this banner you are consenting to their use. Find out how to manage cookies and change your settings.


We provide expert advice, practical support and campaign for single parents

  • Join us
  • Log in
Home Advice and information News Benefits and tax credits The benefit cap
Share Email Print More

The benefit cap

 Note: you may have heard about the legal challenge to the benefit cap in June 2017. There will be more court cases to decide whether the cap is discriminatory and whether the government will have to change the way the benefit cap works. For now the benefit cap rules will stay the same. We will update this page if the law changes.

In the meantime, please call our helpline for advice if you are affected by the cap now.

The benefit cap - key points

If the benefit cap applies to you, the maximum amount that you can receive in benefits is:

  • London: £442.31 per week a week if you’re a single parent and live in a Greater London borough
  • Single parents who live in the rest of the UK:  £384.62 a week

There is more information about the benefit cap below. If you are affected, or worried that you could be affected in the future you can use our online benefit cap checker.

Carers Allowance and Guardians Allowance:

A new exemption now applies to people receiving carer’s allowance, guardian’s allowance or the carer’s element of universal credit. If you receive any of these benefits, you will be exempt from the benefit cap. See the website for more information about which benefits are included in the cap.

You can also use the government’s online calculator


There is a maximum amount of benefits that working age people who are not employed for 16 hours or more a week can receive. This is called a benefit cap. 

The benefit cap doesn’t apply to all families - it will depend on your circumstances

For single parent families the cap is £442.31 a week in London (£23,000 a year). For single parent families outside London the cap is £384.62 a week (£20,000 a year).

How does the benefit cap work?

The benefit cap is applied through housing benefit, or universal credit if you live in a universal credit area.

If you’re receiving over £442.31 a week in London, or £384.62 a week elsewhere, your housing benefit or universal credit will be reduced until your total benefits come down to the cap that applies in your area. If you’re not receiving enough housing benefit to reduce the overall benefit total to £442.30 a week in London, or £384.62 a week elsewhere, your housing benefit will be reduced to a minimum payment of 50 pence a week. No other benefits will be reduced.

The rules are different if you are claiming universal credit. If you receive universal credit and the benefit cap applies to you then your universal credit will be reduced until you reach the level of the benefit cap. If you are claiming universal credit please call our helpline for specific advice on 0808 802 0925. Calls are free.

Which benefits are included in the cap?

Most benefits are included in the cap. If you receive more than £384.62 a week (or £442.31 a week if you live in London) in total from the benefits listed below then the benefit cap could affect you. You will not be affected if you belong to a group of people that are exempt from the cap. Always check to see if you could be exempt from the cap.

The cap will apply to the total amount you receive from:

Child benefit
Child tax credit
Income support
Jobseeker’s allowance
Employment and support allowance – only if you are in the ‘work related activity’ group
Housing benefit
Maternity allowance
Bereavement allowance
Incapacity benefit
Severe disablement allowance
Widowed mother’s allowance
Widowed parent’s allowance
Widow’s pension
Universal credit (unless you receive the limited capacity for work and work-related activity element)

Which benefits aren't included in the cap?

Not all benefits are included in the cap. When adding up your benefits do not include the following:

  • State pension credit
  • State retirement pension
  • Statutory adoption pay, statutory maternity pay and statutory paternity pay
  • Statutory sick pay
  • Council tax reduction
  • Social fund payments
  • Discretionary housing payments
  • Bereavement payment
  • Non-cash benefits such as free school meals.

Child maintenance payments aren't included in the cap.

Who is exempt from the cap?

You will be exempt from the cap if any of these scenarios apply to you:

1. You don’t claim housing benefit or universal credit

2.  You work and are entitled to working tax credits

3.  You work 16 hours a week or more but don't get working tax credits because you have a higher income

4.  You claim universal credit but work and earn £520 or more per month

6. You are a carer or guardian and receive benefits such as:-

Carer’s Allowance 
Carer’s element of universal credit
Guardian’s allowance

7. You have both limited capacity for work and work related activity

8. You receive a war pension, industrial injuries benefit (or equivalent payments made as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensations scheme

9. You are over state pension credit age

10. You claim certain disability or sickness benefits such as:-

The support component of employment and support allowance
Industrial injuries benefit
Attendance allowance

11. It also won't apply to you if either you claim, or your dependent child receives:

Disability living allowance
Personal independence payment.

If you have recently been in work

In some situations the benefit cap won’t apply to you for 39 weeks after you have finished working. The 39 weeks starts to run from the date you finished work, not the date you make a claim for benefits.

You must have worked for 50 out of the previous 52 weeks before finishing work
It must have been paid work (not volunteering)
You can’t have been entitled to income support, jobseeker’s allowance or employment and support allowance.    

If you were on maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, or claiming statutory sick pay that is counted as being in work.

Examples of how the new benefit cap works

Example 1

Rakesh has three children and lives in a privately rented house in London. He has twins aged two, and a five year old. At the moment Rakesh receives the following weekly benefits:


Income support          


Child tax credit         


Housing benefit         


Child benefit             


Total before benefit cap



 Previous benefit cap


New benefit cap (London)

New shortfall for Rakesh




Because Rakesh is receiving over £442.31 a week in benefits, and none of the exemptions apply to him, the new benefit cap will apply. The amount of benefit he receives will reduce from his previous benefit cap of £500 to £442.31 a week. As he receives £149.41 a week more than the £442.31 limit, his housing benefit will be reduced by £149.41 a week. This means he will now have a shortfall of £149.41 towards his rent.

Example 2

Avril has six children and lives in a housing association home in Darlington. Avril’s husband died a year ago so she receives widowed parent’s allowance. Her benefit calculation before the cap is applied would be:

Widowed parent’s allowance        


Child tax credits                           


Housing benefit         


Child benefit             


Total before the cap is applied


Note: only housing benefit can be reduced by the cap


Deduction from housing benefit due to benefit cap


New benefit capped amount per week










Because Avril is receiving over £384.62 a week in benefits, and none of the exemptions apply to her, the benefit cap will apply. Yet for Avril the amount of benefit she receives will not reduce down to £384.62 in her case, because the majority of her benefit income is not from housing benefit. Only housing benefit can be reduced by the benefit cap, so April can avoid the maximum reduction. This is because her other benefits cannot be reduced by the cap. April still has a shortfall of £99.50 a week as a result of the benefit cap.

If you're affected

How will I know if I’m affected?

Your local council should let you know if the benefit cap affects you. You should receive a letter telling you when the benefit cap will apply to you. 

You can also use our online benefit cap checker if you think you may be affected.

The government has a helpline for anyone who has concerns about the benefit cap. The Benefit Cap Helpline is available on 0345 605 7064 and is open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. For Welsh speakers the number is 0345 605 7066.

There is also an online benefit cap calculator, provided by the government.

If you are claiming universal credit the benefit cap helpline is 0345 600 072. For Welsh speakers it is 0345 600 3018. You can also contact DWP through the journal in your universal credit online account.

What can I do if I’m affected?

If you, or any of your children has a health condition or disability and aren’t receiving disability living allowance, check whether you’re entitled to it. If you or your child were receiving disability living allowance or the personal independence payment the benefit cap won’t apply to you. Call our helpline 0808 802 0925 for more advice.

If you get housing benefit and work 16 hours a week or more, the benefit cap wouldn’t apply to you. If you work fewer than 16 hours a week are you able to increase your hours to 16 or more? If you are on universal credit and earn less than £520 per month, are you able to increase your hours so that you earn £520 a month or more?

If you’re in private rented housing, would it be possible to find cheaper accommodation? Could you negotiate your level of rent with the landlord?

If you’re in council housing or with a housing association, speak to your housing provider to see if they can offer you help, such as rehousing, or help with your finances.

Apply to your local council for a discretionary housing payment. This is a payment to make up the shortfall in your rent if you are receiving housing benefit or universal credit. The council will decide if you are eligible – they don’t have make a payment, and if they do it’s likely to be for a limited time.

Call our helpline for more advice if you're affected by the benefit cap or you think it could apply to you. 

Other useful organisations:

- Shelter for housing advice, including housing benefit, bedroom tax, benefit cap, homelessness and housing transfer advice.

Disability Rights UK if you have a disability, including benefits and benefit cap advice

Carers UK for carers, including claiming carer’s allowance and other benefits

Citizens Advice for benefits and housing advice